As you already know, the ODS submission day is Tuesday. Today's concern is the protection of terrestrial life and aims to protect, restore and promote the sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, to manage forests sustainably and to combat and halt desertification.
It was stipulated by the UN:
• Ensure the conservation, restoration and sustainable use of terrestrial and freshwater ecosystems and their services, in particular forests, wetlands, mountains and arid lands, by 2020, in accordance with their obligations under international agreements;
• By 2020, promote the implementation of sustainable management of all types of forests, halt deforestation, restore degraded forests and substantially increase afforestation and reforestation efforts globally;
• By 2030, combat desertification, restore degraded land and soil, including land affected by desertification, droughts and floods, and strive to achieve a neutral world in terms of soil degradation;
• Ensure the conservation of mountain ecosystems, including their biodiversity, by 2030 to improve their capacity to deliver benefits that are essential for sustainable development;
• Take urgent and significant measures to reduce natural habitat degradation, halt the loss of biodiversity and, by 2020, protect and prevent the extinction of endangered species;
• Ensure a fair and equitable sharing of benefits arising from the use of genetic resources and promote adequate access to genetic resources;
• Take urgent action to stop illegal hunting and trafficking of protected plant species and wildlife and to act on both demand and supply of illegal wildlife products;
• By 2020, implement measures to prevent the introduction and significantly reduce the impact of invasive alien species on terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems, and control or eradicate priority species;
• By 2020, integrate ecosystem and biodiversity values into national and local planning, development processes, poverty reduction strategies and accounting systems;
• Mobilize and significantly increase, from all sources, financial resources for the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity and ecosystems;
• Mobilize significant resources, from all sources, and at all levels, to finance sustainable forest management and provide adequate incentives to developing countries to promote sustainable forest management, including conservation and reforestation;
• Strengthen global support for efforts to combat illegal hunting and trafficking of protected species, including by increasing the capacity of local communities to find other sustainable livelihood opportunities.
Be aware that Thursday we have more news for you.
LET'S TRANSFORM THE WORLD